Sunday, July 18, 2010

I can has update? Books!

So apparently I really bite at posting in a timely fashion.  I’ve done a bit of cooking, but mostly just re-dos of what I’ve already told you about.  Well, because I haven’t done any interesting cooking lately, on to book-talk!

Right now I am going through a Terry Pratchett phase.  I can’t help it, his books just make me happy!  I picked up The Color of Magic after a few recommendations from a friend.  “You’ll really like the Discworld series.”  “It’s really good.”  “Seriously, I’m not kidding.”  I every time I mentioned a new book that I had picked up my friend would say “Have you checked out the Discworld series yet?” and I would always reluctantly reply “No, not yet… it’s on the list!”  Then finally I said “what the hell,” looked up the publication order, and grabbed the first book.  The books aren’t numbered so you can pretty much read them in any order you want.

The Color of Magic is about Rincewind; the failed and slightly cowardly wizard, and his misfortunes as he gets wrapped up in travel with an unassuming tourist who owns a pretty awesome piece of anthropomorphic luggage.  I love Rincewind, and feel a little bad for him because really he just wants to live out his existence in relative peace and quiet.  However, my true favorite character of this book is the luggage. 

The luggage is incredibly loyal and protective of its owner and follows him no matter what.  The personality that Pratchett gives the luggage is really amusing.  It’s pretty fantastic.  I want a piece of luggage that will follow me around like that!  I would never have to worry about a lost bag at the airport, because it would always find it’s way back to me, lol.

When I read, if it’s a good story I end up emotionally involved and engrossed in them.  So, if whatever I’m reading is intense or sad it can really screw with my mood.  The humor in Pratchett’s books have allowed me to escape into them and not end up an emotional wreck while reading.  If you’re looking for a fun, whimsical book I definitely recommend you pick this one (or any of his books) up.  They are great entertaining books that also uplift your mood!

No comments: