Sunday, August 15, 2010

Nachos!!

Finally, the nachos post!!  A few months ago (maybe two or three) a friend and I had dinner at McSwiggans Pub in Hoboken, NJ.  We ordered their "Irish Nachos" appetizer and it was AWESOME!  Basically, it was nachos, but instead of tortilla chips, they used waffle fries.  I can't even tell you how great of an idea this was.  I'm getting hungry just thinking about it now actually.

So, me and my obsession with fries, I had to try and make it at home.

Ingredients:
  • Frozen waffle fries (this time I used two bags, one bag feeds 2 to 4 people, two bags feeds 4 to 6)
  • Black olives
  • Grated cheddar and mozzarella cheese
  • Sour Cream
  • Guacamole
  • Chili

Some of the ingredients - chili on the left and grated cheese on the right:

Now, in order for me to make a tasty version of it at home, I need my brothers delicious chili.  I’ll get the recipe for that later, but I’m sure you can use any kind of chili that you like or can make on this.  Don’t use just beans.  Well, you can use just beans and it will turn out alright, it’s just MUCH better with some kind of chili on it.  The first time I tried to make this dish I used the Hormel Vegetarian Chili.  It was ok, but is seriously so much better with my brother’s chili on top.  The chili was made the night before, so all I had to do was warm it up once the fries were done.

I cheated a little when I made the guacamole.  I used three avocados and this packaged “Guacamole Mix” made by... I can't remember the company name right now.   The package actually calls for two guacamoles but I used three and it tasted much better.  Next time I’m going to try making Guacamole totally from scratch because it seems easy enough, but for now, this was a really quick and simple way to make it with basically two ingredients.  When I bought the avocados they weren’t quite ripe yet, so I put them in a brown paper bag with an apple and left them in the closet for maybe a day and a half and they ripened up really nicely!  I was actually surprised that method worked.  I don’t know why, I just figured it would take longer.

I put the waffle fries (this took around 25 minutes) and while I waited for them to finish I grated the cheddar and mozzarella cheese.  Once the fries were finished I put them all on an oven safe glass plate, with the warmed up chili on top, cheese on top of that and olives around it.


Then I popped the dish into the oven for a few minutes to let everything get all deliciously melty.  Once the melty ness was to my satisfaction I put the guacamole and sour cream around it.


Close up:

Then we ate!  Oh man, it was SO GOOD!  Seriously, I wish we had fries in the house because I'd make them right now.

If there are any recipes that I post here that you try to make, I highly recommend this one.  It's incredibly easy, and will work as a great appetizer if you're having a few friends over.  I hope you all try and enjoy it!!

~Mich

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Looks very yummy! I love to make my own guacamole, but avocados are really expensive up here.