Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Chasing Mummies

I watched about a half hour of the show "Chasing Mummies" on the History channel.  First of all.  I will generally watch pretty much any documentary about Egypt/mummies/pyramids/etc.  It's a topic that I genuinely enjoy and will willingly watch.  There was even a period of time in my life where I thought that I could be an archaeologist.  Second of all, even though it's a reality show I figured I would give it some kind of a chance.

That being said.  I just watched some brunette bimbo (who in real-life-reality is probably a wonderful person) act like an ass to/in front of Dr. Zahi Hawass.  Most people have no idea who that is, and that's totally ok.  This man has been in pretty much every documentary about Egypt/mummies/pyramids/etc. that I have EVER SEEN.  EVER.  So to watch this potentially young and budding archaeologist try to talk to Dr. Hawass about her husband "not understanding what she does" and ignoring him when he says "we can talk of this later, right now focus on what we are doing, and the history that we are seeing" infuriates me.  Ever so slightly.

Seriously!  I have no idea if I would be able to handle actually being an archaeologist in the field, nor do I have any idea of what I would say were I working for the man who I watched in all Egypt specials ever, but I have this feeling that I would at least know enough to be more respectful of who he is, and what we would have been doing (entering a tomb not entered by anyone since it was closed).  While I'm also sure I would love my potential husband, I'm also pretty sure I wouldn't whine to Dr. Hawass about it, even after he explicitly asks me not to at least three times.

Holy God why are people the way they are?  Oh, I know... because it's REALITY TV.  Blarg.  It can't ruin my Egypt shows.  I won't let it!  Even if that means not watching this one...

~Mich

4 comments:

Unknown said...

gud rant mate =P

Sam said...

hahaha

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the heads up so I will be sure to miss that one!

Evan said...

Zahi Hawass is the Head of Antiquities for the entire nation of Egypt and its 5000+ year history. Sometimes I think he can be a little stubborn, but you should respect someone with his background and position. That's just rude behavior.

I can't seem to care for anything on History Channel anymore, and Nat Geo is coming close to being taken off my list too. I really want some good, quality science shows!